I was recently awed by the beauty of a tree – God’s handiwork. The reality of God was evident to me in that tree.
In the Bible God gave man specific instructions regarding the earth:
And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. – Genesis 1:28 KJV
With the celebration of Earth Day today, the awesomeness of God’s creation is brought to the forefront of my mind.
Earth Day reminds me:
- of the tremendous responsibility we have as humans to nurture and maintain the earth (… “replenish it…”) and its wonderful resources that have been put here for our benefit and enjoyment (…”subdue it”).
- of how precious water is to us.
- of how precious and delightful food is to us.
- of how important and beneficial healthy living environments are to us.
- that what we wear affects our interaction with the Earth. Either our attire helps us to benefit from as well as adapt to the climate in which we live or it hinders us.
- that once we’ve utilized a resource we should do what we can to encourage its restoration.
With the authority over the earth given to us by God comes the responsibility of taking care of it also given to us by God.
What does Earth Day mean to you?